NEW! Join our hub of allergy-friendly businesses. It’s free!
- Approximately 15M Americans and 2.5M Canadians live with food allergies
- 1 in 2 Canadians knows someone with a serious food allergy
- Food allergies are on the rise
“Food-allergy Moms (FAMs) represent a powerful opportunity for manufacturers and service providers to create a contingent of deeply passionate advocates. If a brand’s ideal consumer is one who is strongly engaged in the purchase decision, likely to be moved by a product that performs well, and very motivated to share her positive story with friends, then FAMs are extremely attractive targets.” (Source: Media Post)
I’m a food allergy mama
As the mom of a toddler with 6+ food allergies, I know how isolating it can be to be “that mom” — the one who asks a million questions about what snacks are being served or which ingredients are being used. I also know how time-consuming it can be to find safe products and accommodating spaces for my little guy. This is why I founded AllergyBites, with the mission to be THE go-to spot for allergy-friendly eats & treats, places & spaces.
Psst! I was featured in Datenight Babysitting’s Interview with a Mamapreneur series. Feel free to give it a read and get to know me a little better!
I’m a writer
My professional writing experience includes more than 10 years of content creation: blogging, copywriting, content writing, editing, and managing social media platforms. During this time, I have worked for a number of startups, helping young companies ramp up their content in the form of blogs, newsletters, social channels, and even video. Past achievements include:
- Increasing the Teach Away newsletter readership by more than 100%
- Producing hundreds of pieces for company blogs, such as: Datenight Babysitting, Ingle International, League, Teach Away, VarageSale
- Transforming VarageSale‘s social media page into an engaged community that surpassed 100K followers
- Featuring articles in publications such as BeautyNext Magazine, BentoBox Magazine, Best Allergy Sites, Canadian Insurance Top Broker, Coco Montreal, Deepbody Magazine, Destinations Travel Magazine, Verge Magazine
- Making #25 on the Top 40 Food Allergy Blogs within 1 year of launching the AllergyBites blog
Topics I have written about range from travel to insurance to beauty to dining out to Japanese culture to mom life and, of course, food allergies. The following publications have featured my articles on the topic of food allergies:
- “How to Eat Healthy with Dietary Restrictions”* (League, March 2018)
- “Food allergy or sensitivity? What’s the difference?”* (League, March 2018)
- “Here’s how to make sure your child’s next party is allergy-friendly” (Active Parents, February 2018)
- “Food Allergies: What to Know Before Baby Starts Eating” (Vibrant Nutrition, February 2018)
- “Foodie Turned Food Allergy Mama Challenges Local Restaurants to Get Creative” (Personal Health News, December 2017)
- “As a food allergy mom, here’s why I don’t want to hear about self-care anymore” (Best Allergy Sites, November 2017)
- “When my biggest worry was having a picky eater…” (This Bumpy Adventure, July 2017)
- “Travel Insurance & Food Allergies: Make Sure You’re Protected During Your Travels” (Ingle International, June 2017)
*These articles were ghostwritten by me.
I’m a foodie
I’m one of those annoying people who would happily fill up your newsfeed with pictures of my food. I’ve been known to tear up when taking a first bite of something really, really delicious. I get excited about new foods, new products and new adventures. I’m equally passionate about instilling my love of food in my child. One of my goals in creating AllergyBites was to help other food allergy families find joy in eating food again while trying to take the fear out of food.
I think it’s really important to give back to the community
I’ve previously partnered with a local food allergy therapist to hold a free talk about raising our food-allergic children without a fear of food. I’ve pledged to donate $1 of every sale to Walk for Andrea, and I’ve volunteered my copyediting/writing services to CAAIF to help them prepare for a fundraising event. I’m currently doing what I can to bring a version of this super cool Australian fundraiser to Canada.
Psst! Want to join our committee of volunteers? Drop me a line, and let’s chat about what skills you’ll bring to the table.
Want to collaborate?
Discount Card Program
Join our expanding hub of allergy-friendly businesses and reach a niche community of food allergy folk. How? By providing AllergyBites cardholders with a unique, year-round discount. Participation is 100% free for eligible businesses, and it comes with a lot of free advertising too. To view the growing list of participating businesses, click here.
Send me something to nibble on, or invite me to your eating space for a snack or a meal. If it’s worth writing home about, I’ll do a lot more than that! I’ll give your eats & treats a rave review in the AllergyBites product or restaurant review album, and I’ll make sure to spread the word on social media. Looking for a sponsored blog post? See Advertising Opportunities below.
Advertising & Sponsorship Opportunities
If you’re interested in learning more about advertising opportunities with AllergyBites, or to view our catalogue of sponsorship packages, contact me. Packages can be customized upon request.